The empirical research article I
selected this week, Out of the Mouths of
Babes: What Do Secondary Students Believe about Outstanding Teachers was
written by Patricia Williams, Sam Sullivan and Lawrence Kohn. The research in
this article did not introduce me to any new ideas or arguments that I had not already
been introduced to in my previous week’s research. The phenomenon I was
introduced to is that empirical articles can be a valuable resource in my
research because they can validate certain aspects of my research that I had found
in previous weeks.
The
researchers
in this study I read about wrote friendly letters to seventh through twelfth
graders asking them what makes outstanding teachers. The students were at four
different secondary schools with diverse settings: a private Christian academy
in an affluent suburb, a rural high school in a low socioeconomic community, a
rural middle school also in a low socioeconomic community, and a large high
school in a heterogeneous, middle class suburban area. Although all the
students who responded to the letters were from different backgrounds and
schools, they all had similar views about what they believe makes an
outstanding teacher. Based on this study, I do not plan on reconsidering the
focus of my research question. The answers the students gave all apply to
classroom management techniques I have previously researched and fit into my
current research question.
There
were 35 resources mentioned in the reference section of this article. After
scanning through the titles of the reference material, I have found quite a few
resources that I will consider looking into for my future research. Some of the
titles that stand out to me include: Top 11 Traits of a Good Teacher, What
Works in the Classroom? Ask the Students, and Lessons Teachers Beg to be
Taught.
So far, I feel my research skills are improving dramatically.
I now have a good technique to evaluate the information I find with the CRAAP
test. I can find books online and have learned how to use the Leatherby Libraries
multiple databases. Although I believe my research skills will continue to
improve overtime, my research is already 100 times better than it was prior to
this class. I look forward to continuing to improve and learn even more techniques
to help me in the future.
No comments:
Post a Comment